How well do you know grilling? The Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association has launched an online quiz to test Barbecue IQ. Those who take the quiz learn not only their “IQ,” but also get tips on how to up their barbecue game, as grilling season peaks during the summer.
The online quiz can be found at www.hpba.org/Barbecue-IQ .
You can prepare for the quiz by checking out the most recent info from the HPBA’s Barbecue Lifestyle, Usage & Attitude study, about the state of barbecuing today:
- 75% of U.S. adults own a grill or smoker.
- 62% of households that own a grill own a gas grill, followed by charcoal (53%) and electric (12%).
- 2% own a wood pellet grill and 8% are thinking of purchasing one this year.
- The most popular days to barbecue are (in descending order): Fourth of July (76%), Labor Day (62%), Memorial Day (62%), Father’s Day (49%), and Mother’s Day (34%).
- The top reasons for cooking out? 71% of grill owners say it’s to improve flavor, 54% for personal enjoyment and 42% for entertaining family and friends.
- The majority of grill owners (63%) use their grill or smoker year-round, with 43% cooking at least once a month during the winter months.
- Half of all grill owners have the most basic grilling accessories (cleaning brush, tongs, glove/mitts). The most popular new accessories owners plan to buy include pizza stones, broiling baskets and cooking planks.
- Barbecuing isn’t just an evening activity: 11% of grill owners prepared breakfast on a grill in the past year.
- 10% of all grill owners have a backyard kitchen that features premium furniture and lighting.
- Nearly one-third of grill owners grilled someplace other than their homes in the past year, including 24% who grilled while camping.
- More than one-third (45%) of U.S. adults surveyed plan to purchase a new grill or smoker in 2016, while nearly a third (30%) of current owners plan to grill with greater frequency.