This afternoon, after an informative presentation on EU requirements for food contact products by Donald Moffett, Wilton Brands’ Director of Global Compliance and Quality Assurance, Global Forum attendees are learning more about the South Africa market from the ultimate market insider, Annemie Fourie.
Ms. Fourie first entered the global housewares marketplace as a inventor of a unique tool aptly named Handle Hands, which allows home chefs to handle hot cookware without burning hands. She also has joined forces with Premium Housewares, a distributor of high-end brands for the South African market. And seeing a further opportunity, she opened retail chain Liv’ In to help the South African consumer experience the superior functionality of these brands.
Highlights of her presentation include:
– South Africa, the rainbow nation, is famous for wine, safaris and its sports, was the home of the first heart transplant and was the first nation to ban indoor smoking.
– There are 11 languages, but English is shared by all as the language of business.
– South Africa has the most unequal distribution of wealth in the world.
– South Africa has the largest Indian population outside India.
– There are much higher retail price points than overseas partly due to high duties (20% or higher).
– Retail is shopping mall based, and there are many opening on a regular basis.
– The market is experiencing significant growth, especially in the gourmet and home culinary segment.
For those who wish to master the South African market, Ms. Fourie invited Global Forum attendees and the rest of the housewares industry to join IHA’s Trade Mission to South Africa scheduled for September 14 -19, 2014. For more information contact Lori Szudarek and watch http://www.housewares.org/members/global_benefits/exportTM.aspx for details soon.