Millennials are at the center of the niche for craft brewing at home, according to The NPD Group.
A recent report from NPD doesn’t specify whether millennials are brewing coffee in their own homes or in their parents’ basements, but the important thing for specialty retailers is that craft brewing is making it out of the coffee shop and into a home kitchen.
Some key findings of the NPD report include:
- Millennials are twice as likely as their boomer parents to use craft methods at home.
- 1 in 4 craft coffee brewers are only occasional coffee drinkers.
- The at-home craft movement is being led by foodies, with 25 percent of those surveyed saying that “food is my passion and an essential part of my lifestyle and identity” compared with 14 percent of those who brew coffee via automatic brewers
- Some 63 percent of craft coffee brewers seek out and try new foods.
- Nearly 80 percent of craft coffee consumers are more likely to prefer locally owned/independent restaurants.
- 3 in 10 craft coffee consumers say they never eat at fast food establishments.